[TowerTalk] More Antenna Analyzers

Michael M. Raskin rask1553 at bellsouth.net
Mon Sep 14 20:35:40 PDT 2009

More Antenna Analyzers (shipping extra)

Palomar PCM-1 RF Current Meter.  This measures RF current from 0.2-30MHz.
Its clamp-on ferrite transformer fits over wires and cables up to 12mm (1/2
inch) diameter.  It is direct reading in three current ranges.  In excellent
condition and come with instructions and circuit diagram.  $75.

Autek Research RF-1 RF Analyst.  The pocket-sized RF1 is designed to check
and adjust antennas, feedlines, and RF networks. It includes a
microprocessor, A/D converters, and a low-power "transmitter" with 4 digit
frequency readout, continuously variable from 1.2 to 34 MHz in 5 bands.  In
excellent condition with manual.   Check it out at www.autekresearch.com/ -
$70.

MFJ-731 Analyzer Filter.  Designed to null AM broadcast stations, and
attenuate all other types of out-of-band interference to Antenna Analyzers.
This
unit works with all brands of analyzers.  It is also ideal for any
application requiring a low
power band-pass band-reject filter that provides a single adjustable deep
notch
between 550 and 1800 kHz, while passing an adjustable range of frequencies
1.8-2.0, 3.5-4.0, and 7-30 MHz.  In excellent with manual.  $60.

All other previously listed analyzers have been sold.  I have received many
inquiries as which analyzer I am presently using since I am selling (or have
sold) five others.  I have tried them all and I like the MFJ-269 for its
simplicity and field use, but the best analyzer I have ever had is the
Kuranishi BR-200.  The 200 model has been replaced with the BS-210, but both
are no longer easy to find.  The Kuranishi is by far the best antenna
analyzer I have ever used and has precise frequency tuning from 1.8 through
170 MHz and is easy to tune.  The reviews on eHam are all 5/5.  The Palstar
ZM-30 tells you more than you'll ever need to know but you have to have a
BSEE to utilize all the features and operation is not intuitive, as with the
BR-200.  So, there you have it:  I now only have two - the MFJ-259 (it is
actually a Vectronics VEC 584B) and the BR-200.  Get one, if you find one,
and you'll love it!  For more on high-end  antenna analyzers, check out the
5-pages review and comparison on the top four in May 2005 QST
http://ham.srsab.se/ww/temp/test_MFJ269.pdf

Mike, W4UM