[TowerTalk] Anyone Using a Fulton KW3000 Winch with Powerful 1/2 inch Pistol Drill for tower tilting ?

Al Williams alwilliams at olywa.net
Tue Sep 22 22:06:43 PDT 2009

The short answer is that I had a U-shaped bracket made that would snug fit
over the outside leg of the tower and tightly hold it in place by squeezing
the bracket with two bolts. The bracket was made of 1/4 inch steel that fit
along about 4 inches of the towers leg.  The bracket stood out long enough
to fit two pulleys.  I also installed a second pulley at the top of the
raising fixture along the outside of the fixtures pulley holding structure
and with a plate to prevent  the cable from jumping off the added pulley.

The longer answer is that this method may not work in other towers.  My
tower was fabricated by the interim company in California that discontinued
its tower making and eventually wound up in Karl Tashjian's hands.  I don't
know if todays design is similar to what mine is but there is enough
clearance (or is it slop?) that the tower section moving inside the towers
outer section can slide over the 1/4 inch bracket that is wrapped around the
outer leg,

I think that the US Tower HDX572 which has the pulley bracket welded to the
outside part of the tower leg and holds two pulleys is a better design but I
didn't want to have a welder
come to my tower and possibly weaken it.

The LM470 was designed to be tilted up with its temporary sling mounted
pulley only once and then the tilt fixture cabling apparatus is removed and
reinstalled using the top of tilt fixture as a pivot point.  I suppose that
many users have done this and are satisfied but I wasn't comfortable with
having the reinstall correct for the first tilting down.  I also observed
that there was no pulley mechanical advantage in the reinstall and suspected
that the winch would be overloaded with the Monstir antenna out at the end
of the mast.

k7puc