[TowerTalk] 3" Boom Joints

Dave Johnson djohnson at windstream.net
Tue Sep 22 20:06:55 PDT 2009

Go to a scrap metal yard and see if you can find a 2 1/2" schedule 40
aluminum pipe.  It's OD will be 2.875".  Cut off some pieces 8 to 12 inches
long (your choice) then make a single cut long ways.  Put a hose clamp
around the pipe and squeeze it.  Slide half of it inside your 3" boom
sections.  You will need to move the hose clamp a couple of times then take
it off and bump the sections together.  I put a 1/4" stainless bolt through
both boom sections at each joint.  All of my 54' booms are made like that.

Dave - K4SSU