[TowerTalk] modeling a v shaped dipole

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Fri Sep 25 10:03:52 PDT 2009

Gary Slagel wrote:
> I didn't do a very good job of describing the antenna.  I'm not really folding the ends back into a C.   I'm making a flat V.... like an inverted Vee but with the ends horizontal rather then drooping to the ground.
>
> I didn't expect much effect as I brought them back to enclose a 135 degree Vee but I was surprised that when the Vee was enclosing only a 45 degree angle, EZNEC still showed it with an identical pattern to a broadside dipole.   So... if the pictures I drew below are understandable, I wouldn't have thought these two dipoles would have an identical azimuthal pattern!
>
> ----------------o o---------------- broadside dipole viewed from above
>
>                 o o               45 degree vee dipole viewed from above
>               /      \
>             /          \
>           /              \

Oh yeah.. the pattern will be almost identical.. The "phase center" of
the bent dipole is about 1/4 to 1/3 of the way from apex to tails,
depending on the angle.

Think of the far field as being the sum of the fields from a bunch of
little chunks along the antenna.  When you bend it, the direction of
current is slightly different, but since it's matched on the other side,
the "off center-ness" cancels.  So now, all you've really got is the
same as if you had a sort of stepped dipole (with magic non radiating
interconects):

                 o o
               -     -