[TowerTalk] HF yagi - tree mount fixture - photos: Need suggestions

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Mon Sep 28 08:13:59 PDT 2009

I'm going to offer another very important thought on the topic of
Yagis in trees. I have 8 acres of very tall redwoods, and I
strongly considered a Yagi in one of them. This advice, from NI6T,
who HAS an HF Yagi in one of his redwoods, is what changed my mind.

If you're not going to do the tree climbing yourself, you're going
to have to hire someone to FIX the antenna when Mother Nature does
her thing. That person will likely be a professional tree climber,
quite experienced in dealing with trees and limbs, but clueless in
fixing problems with broken wires, connectors, rotor issues,
antenna rigging, waterproofing, and the like. You can pre-rig all
of that when you first install the antenna, but not when you fix it
after a storm. Garry learned all of this the hard way. I have found
tree climbers to be quite good at rigging wire antennas with
pulleys and keeping folliage out of the way.

On the other hand, most good tower climbers ARE competent to fix
problems associated with an antenna installation, but few of them
climb trees. :)

73,

Jim K9YC