[TowerTalk] Open wire

w4lde w4lde at numail.org
Mon Sep 28 11:42:11 PDT 2009

This is off topic but here goes.

I am feeding a 80 meter center feed with open wire, about 100ft feed-line.

Due to some new construction work that is going to start on the back of
our home this week I am forced to move the feed-line.

The original installation had about 50 ft vertical from the center of
the dipole and then across and under a raised wood porch and then up to
a second floor shack.

The porch is going and a new covered screened porch is replacing it.

I have three choices during construction, they are:

1.  Leave the 100' feed-line coiled out in the yard and not operate.
(Not a great idea)

2.  Cut the feed line down to around 50' which would be temporary but
then I would have to splice it later after construction.

3.  Coil about 40' near the 4:1 balun, however I am concerned that the
coiled feed line will act a one big inductor and change and or
significantly reduce the antenna efficiency.

#3 is the easiest but I am worried about open wire feed-line coiled,
thoughts please!

73 de
Ron W4LDE