[TowerTalk] Open Wire

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Tue Sep 29 15:56:36 PDT 2009

On Tue, 29 Sep 2009 17:10:30 -0500, Rob Atkinson wrote:

>Having written all that, I just might take down one of my dipoles and
>feed it with coax and see how it is.   I freely admit that I might
>have to eat crow afterwards.

Unbalance has VERY little to do with TX performance (perhaps a dB or so
pattern tilt). It's all about common mode on the line either receiving
noise or radiating to cause RFI. Think of it this way -- if that line is
adding 6dB of noise and you kill it, you can now hear signals that are
6dB weaker. And we all know that if you can't hear 'em, you can't work
'em!

73,

Jim K9YC