[TowerTalk] Power Distribution

Roger (K8RI) K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Mon Aug 2 16:11:25 PDT 2010

On 8/2/2010 4:25 PM, DF3KV wrote:
> At least you never need more then 6µF in your HV power supply and your mains
> is not dropping when the air condition or washing machine runs.

That part is either too long a run of too small a wire from the pole to
the house, too small a service in the house, or a poor connection in one
of the overhead terminations/ junction boxes...or too small a pole pig.
When we built the house over at Breckenridge MI we burned the pole pig
to a crisp in just a couple of hours. It took them two days to fix...in
freezing temps while I had a house full of wet plaster. (and all we were
using were the basement heaters as space heaters - 6400 watts each)
When we went to the 200 amp service here, there were no more dimming
lights.  Actually I have a 200 amp service for the shop and one for the
house while both have their own gas feeds and meters.

73

Roger (K8RI)