[TowerTalk] [Fwd: Re: Fwd: shack wiring]

Larry McDavid lmcdavid at lmceng.com
Sat Aug 7 23:54:26 PDT 2010

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Fwd:  shack wiring
Date: Sat, 07 Aug 2010 23:34:46 -0700
From: Larry McDavid <lmcdavid at lmceng.com>
To: jimlux <jimlux at earthlink.net>

Don't assume all of North America manages power lines the same way. My
tract home was built 35 years ago and had underground electrical utility
service from the start. Since, every new home here has been supplied by
underground electrical service. Older homes throughout the city do still
use overhead supply lines, of course.

Anaheim has for many years had an Underground Anaheim program to move
all power lines underground. About a year ago, a 48 KV overhead line
about two blocks away was moved underground. The cable TV lines on the
same poles were moved underground shortly afterward and all the poles
removed. This move to underground electrical service is happening all
over the city continuously; the cost is paid in part by a small fee
identified on the city utility bill. I don't know a projected completion
date for all the work, but a lot of progress has been made just in the
past few years.

It happens that Anaheim city owns its electrical power distribution
system; I buy my electrical power from the city. The city years ago
bought a significant fraction of a nuclear generation plant and the Four
Corners coal-fired generation plant; as a result, my electrical power
cost is lower than surrounding cities serviced by a monopolistic power
utility. And, Anaheim fixes the KWHr rate at just one value after the
state mandated "baseline" rate is exceeded; surrounding monopolist
utilities enforce three and four steps in the rate as more power is used.

Granted, Anaheim enjoys the tax benefit of having Disneyland, an immense
convention center and the supporting hotel infrastructure here in the
city. Nevertheless, it took forethought years ago for the city to buy
into electrical power generation and distribution. Anaheim did this
without being "bombed into oblivion." How these electrical power systems
are managed varies a great deal from city to city here in California and
throughout North America.

Larry W6FUB

jimlux wrote:
> Bert Almemo wrote:
>> Hi guys,
>>
>> I'm no expert but it seems to me that the NA electrical distribution system
>> is completely antiquated and needs rebuilding. Overhead wires on wooden
>> poles is a cheap and ugly system. It also works as unwanted antennas for us
>> hams.
>>
>> In many countries in Europe all single family homes have 3-phase electrical
>> systems. Distribution lines in the urban areas are all undergorund which
>> make the neighborhoods look much nicer and the wires are not exposed to ice
>> storms, hurricanes, tornados or other common weather conditions. It costs a
>> fortune every year to repair overhead power lines in NA. The long term
>> benefits are obvious.
>>
>> I wonder when we on this side of the pond realize we have to modernize our
>> electrical system? Just my 2 cents worth.
>>

> Having a significant portion of the electrical infrastructure bombed
> into oblivion in the 40s tends to change one's outlook on the value of
> things like Gas Insulated Switchgear (as opposed to oil) and also
> removes the need to worry about the investment in heritage installation.
Best wishes,

Larry McDavid W6FUB
Anaheim, CA  (20 miles southeast of Los Angeles, near Disneyland)