[TowerTalk] OTQ

Mickey Baker fishflorida at gmail.com
Sat Aug 14 17:24:44 PDT 2010

Luck is pretty common in cases like yours.

Like many engineering situations, a tower that is built within
manufacturer's recommendation has a lower probability of failure compared to
one which is loaded beyond the published manufacturer's data.

The engineers that work for the tower companies use a number of mathematical
factors to limit their liability and ensure safety to the users of their
products, just like our roads are wider than our automobiles - there's some
room there for safety!

Non-failure of an under-designed tower isn't really something that is
unusual. "Luck" is the rule rather than the exception!

Almost all towers that fail, however, have, in some way, been stressed
beyond their designed loads, whether because of deterioriation, a bad
component or damage.

Curious, you speak of this tower in the past tense. Someone climbed it and
took it down?

73,

Mickey, N4MB

On Sat, Aug 14, 2010 at 12:47 AM, Dale M. Schwartz <dale at immlawfirm.com>wrote:

> Lee: I had an 80' Rohn 25 tower with two house brackets bolted into a 40'
> high chimney with NO guy wires it was up for 30 years in an area that
> sometimes gets pretty strong wind gusts here in Atlanta. It never even
> vibrated.  I swear to you that in 30 years we never had to climb the tower
> once-- not for the 4 el tribander; not for the rotor (never ever
> lubricated); not for the coax or connectors. Maybe just lucky???
>         Dale.   K4ROZ
>

> Dale M. Schwartz & Asso., LLP
> Attorneys at Law--Immigration &
>  Nationality Law
> Suite 450 RiverEdge One
> 5500 Interstate N. Pkwy. NW
> Atlanta, GA 30328
>
> Tel:  770 951-1100
> Fax: 770 951-1113
> www.immlawfirm.com<http://www.immlawfirm.com>
>
>  PAST PRESIDENT: AMERICAN
> IMMIGRATION LAWYERS ASS'N
>  ADJUNCT PROFESSOR: EMORY UNIVERSITY SCHOOL OF LAW

Mickey Baker
Fort Lauderdale, FL
“Tell me, and I will listen. Show me, and I will understand. Involve me, and
I will learn.” Teton Lakota, American Indian Saying.