[TowerTalk] gorilla hooks

Roger (K8RI) K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Sun Aug 15 10:50:25 PDT 2010

On 8/15/2010 7:06 AM, D Calder wrote:
> It's not a repel. It's a "controlled descent".     :)
>
> Yes, triple self-locking beaners are to be used...... You have to twist to
> open. You can still do it with one hand very easy when you get used to them.
You must be young.  I've had these for five years and they cause more
problems than they solve. Possibly the springs in them are too strong,
and for me they twist the wrong way for me.  They got to the point where
I just throw them over my shoulder and put a pole strap around the
tower. I've had beaners that work fine for climbing, but these things
are a royal pain that make going back to the old climbing belt look
tempting.  Once I get to where I'm going I hook them up. To me when
safety equipment becomes a nuisance it's a hazard rather than a safety
device.
I need to get some of the hooks that were shown in the earlier link that
use the thumb and fingers to open which are the same as my other gear.

73

Roger (K8RI)