[TowerTalk] Flying critters

Larry K4AB larry.k4ab at gmail.com
Sun Aug 15 11:16:46 PDT 2010

Once I was doing repair on a coax switch about 70' up on the tower.  As I
was taking the cover off the enclosure I heard a very loud "rattle" within
the box.  I remember thinking that it sounded like a rattlesnake, but how
could a snake climb a tower?

As I took the cover off the box I was engulfed by a swarm of wasps.  It
seems they had decided to build a large nest inside.  The rattle was them
flying into the metal box.

I immediately aborted my repair and carefully began to descend the tower.

By the time I got to the ground, the little buggers had "gotten" me 6 times.

Lessons learned:

-Seal all enclosures to prevent insects from entering.
-Wear long pants and sleeves...even in hot weather.
-Its better to have switches ground mounted than up the tower. (even for
stacks).
-Always have 2 halyards on the belt.  Always be strapped-in.

73,
Larry K4AB