[TowerTalk] flying things

r miles greenacres113 at charter.net
Tue Aug 17 10:45:07 PDT 2010

My late father in law [W9DHD] was that way. If he was stung by a bee  or  wasp it was time to go to the ER NOW. It was life or death.
When I was 4 yr.s old I was stung over 50 times by something. Probably wasps. We lived in rural Tn & the visiting Dr told my parents if I lived thru the night I should recover.I did. Since then I seem to have an immunity to stings.If I'm with other people outdoors wasps, bees & mosquitos ignore me and bite them. If I'm bitten  by any insect if I don't itch the spot all pain is gone in 10 minutes or less.
Today I was looking at a vertical I have stored  on a rack in the back yard.
 There was a wasp nest in my gin pole on the rack. They came out to meet me.  Most of them  just buzzed around me.
I  did get stung on the hand once. After 3 or 4 minutes no pain or red mark. That was two hr.s ago & there's no evidence I was ever stung.
I know I'm a rare bird. It sure comes  in handy when my neighbors or family find hives & need help. Twice I've pulled football sized hives out of house eves with no stings.  Also my gift is handy on Field Days !
I'm not a Dr. but my guess is there must be something inside me from that childhood attack that  causes me to emit a scent the critters sense. They just figure I'm a waste of time. Just a gift from God.

K9IL