[TowerTalk] Protecting a Tower Relay Box

Joseph or Ruth Patrick hdmc38 at bellsouth.net
Wed Aug 18 08:12:25 PDT 2010

I would have to agree.  Any thing you can put near the ground do it. You can be
sure that if you don't that's what will fail 80' up during a contest at nite in
the rain. Same goes for tower/antenna installation. The more work you can do on
the ground the less you do up in the air. I don't know the difference in signal
loss but it can't be much unless your on 1.2 gig. A connection at the base of a
tower for your rotor control box beats the S*** out of  being 70' up talking to
the XYL on a cell phone or GRMS trying to get her to turn the rotor in the
shack. No offense to XYL'S let's not go there. Make life easy. One extra trip up
and down will increase your fatigue. Not a good thing. Again Just MHOP.
 73 K4XZ Joe Patrick

I'll add my comments which agree with the others advising you NOT to mount the
relay box 80ft up the tower. I had to climb my tower once at dusk during the
CQWW CW contest to swap out a failed relay box. At least I had a spare. By the
following weekend, I had it mounted down at 5ft! It takes a few more coax runs
but it's well worth it. Even in bad WX, you can repair something if it's at
ground level.

GL with the project!

73, Stew K3ND