[TowerTalk] Life expectancy of RG-213

Grant Saviers grants2 at pacbell.net
Fri Aug 27 08:44:56 PDT 2010

Moisture reacts with trace contamination in the plastic or there are
other trace compounds that oxidize the copper.  There are so many
variables in off-brand coax, who knows what it is.

On the other hand, a mil-spec spool of RG213 I have that is 20 years old
measures just fine.  I measured with the same power meter at both ends
(reel has a stub at the inside) to a dummy load and the loss is "just
like new".  A TDR is nice, but not in most shacks, so if you can get to
both ends this is an easy measurement.  You can vary the frequency of
the test, and get accurate results even with the not so calibrated power
meter in most SWR meters since only the db/watts difference matters.

Grant KZ1W