[TowerTalk] cable locating

Roger (K8RI) K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Mon Aug 30 00:15:05 PDT 2010

On 8/30/2010 12:56 AM, Mickey Baker wrote:
> Cable locating has been in place many years.
>
> When I was an engineering CO-OP student working at BellSouth doing location
> (many years ago), our rule was that we ONLY located the easement. We did not
> locate drops - the underground wires to customer's premises - once they
> departed the easement. In some places, the easement went to the customer's
> building (for apartments, commercial buildings, etc.) but it was narrow and
> marked on the plat.

Around here they mark the lines all the way to where they enter the
house.  It's far easier and cheaper to mark them than repair them.
I have two gas lines, two electrical feeds, one cable, one telephone,
and one water...all underground. They definitely do not want you digging
into a gas line. They marked them all, each service with a different
colored row of flags.

73

Roger (K8RI)