[TowerTalk] Coax Loss -- RG-Numbers Don't Tell us Much

Roger (K8RI) K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Fri Feb 5 21:57:17 PST 2010

jimlux wrote:
> Roger (K8RI) wrote:
>
>> Jim Brown wrote:

>>> Rick,
>>>
>>> My point is that virtually all transmission line losses at HF are I squared R
>>> losses.
>>>
>> That's why you want to install the largest coax you can afford.
>>

> So, are we going to see articles in QST about "How to fabricate coax air
> line from thinwall 6" aluminum irrigation tubing" or " How I learned to
> stop worrying about rain on my openwire line and to love my TIG welder"

Nope! How to use your plumbing skills to get that RF to the antenna!

Unfortunately have you seen the price of copper lately? The size
calculations are in "The Handbook".
Air core, using copper pipe isn't all that difficult to build, but it
takes the rigid refrigeration tubing to get a nice straight center
connector.  Then there is the problem of making all joints not only
water proof, but air tight, and then creating a fitting to allow using
dry N2 to purge the whole line.  Time you get done it'd cost a small
fortune.

Hence purchasing the largest you can afford is the best answer I can see.

73

Roger (K8RI)