[TowerTalk] XM-240 Shorty-Forty: X-Hat Modification- Update

Roger (K8RI) K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Wed Feb 10 01:00:04 PST 2010

Chet wrote:
> Hi Dick,
>
> I think you mentioned large birds on on yours xm-240.  I have seen a couple
> of doves on mine but I guess I have been lucky.  With doves sitting on it,
> it really does make the elements droop. Mine has been up 7 years  now and no
> problem.  I bought this used from K3OO who had it up for several years
> before that.   This one took a lightning hit which Took out one of the coils
> and is one Of the reasons he sold it.  I got a new coil from cushcraft about
> 10 days after I got the antenna home, I put it back up At 75 feet and its
> never blinked even through 5 hurricanes. I am about 7 miles off the water.
> Great antenna, I would definitely buy another one. Only once have
> I seen any ice at this qth.
Man, but am I Jealous!  Nothing like coming out 3 or 4 times a year to
see the elements on your antennas loaded with ice and pointing at the
ground.  That is a lot of  flexing but bad as they look they've always
gone back up in place. OTOH my generator shed is directly under the
beams. The shed is one of those vinyl prefab units. I don't think it
even slows down a foot long piece of ice.  Parts are easily replaceable
though.

73

Roger (K8RI)