[TowerTalk] N Connectors

Roger (K8RI) K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Wed Feb 10 18:42:11 PST 2010

Marlon K. Schafer wrote:
> Hi Dan,
>
> If you don't already have them, save yourself a LOT of time and trouble and
> pick up the stripper and deburring tools for the cable size you are working
> with.
> http://catalog.digicatalog.com/showmag.php?mid=gqtff#/page138/

The link doesn't work. My software blocks the domain as being friendly
to the unsavory types.
Shortening it to the root, gives a redirect to a site called Zmag.
> Times also has a relatively new compression type connector like you are
> talking about.  I've used them for LMR600 and they are much much nicer than
> the older style.
The only ones I've found of that type are near $60 each. As each run
from the patch panel to the antennas takes about 10 connectors it makes
the 7/16 Din look pretty good.
I'll give Steve Davis a call tomorrow and see what they have...now that
he posted the right phone number<:-))
>  All you need to build a perfect connection these days are
> the strippers,
Have good ones
>  a pair of nail scissors,
I use flush cutting side cutters/nippers
>  razor knife
Razor knife/(box cutter?)  With the good strippers I've not needed one.
OTOH if you try using LMR-400, or 600 UF I've not found a stripper that
works well with the rubber like jacket and there I do use a box cutter.
OTOH due to the poor life of UF out in the elements the only place I use
UF any more is in the conduits.
>  and a couple of Crescent

I just have ...I was going to say a couple, but it's a BUNCH of
adjustable open end wrenches.
> wrenches.  Very cool and very fast :-).

I still prefer the crimp type. OTOH I'd sure like to find a bunch of the
bands that are crimped on the LMR 400 and 600 connectors so I could
reuse the more expensive ones.  It'd be nice to find some more center
pins as well.
> I've cc'd Lee at Hutton (Electro-comm) on this.  I've purchased all of my
> cable from them for a very long time.  Good prices and great service!

I'll have to check out this site...If I can get to it.

73

Roger (K8RI)