[TowerTalk] Measuring Coax Loss

Mike Besemer (WM4B) mwbesemer at cox.net
Thu Feb 11 16:59:11 PST 2010

Okay... I'll accept your argument about S-meters because frankly it's not
worth arguing about.  3 dB or 6 dB is still not a great deal of loss at HF.
I doubt that most of us can hear 3 to 6 dB 99% of the time.

I'm not sure what you call a 'long run' of coax', but I have a 125' run to
my relay point plus the additional length to the individual feedpoints.  Is
that what you consider long?

I agree that it's not good to WASTE dB's but I also would not spend a bunch
of money for a couple dB... be it on an antenna or other components to
reduce loss... not for a standard HF station anyway.  I already qualified my
previous statement saying that it did not apply to microwave/weak signal
work.  The fact that you implied that some of us are not 'smart operators'
is rather assumptive and could be considered by some as offensive.  As for
me, I just don't find it worth while to worry about what I consider
negligible loss.

Comparing the MFJ to another measurement is useless unless the other
instrument is traceable to a NIST standard, so your comment about comparing
it to another measurement is invalid... that comparison is ONLY valid if one
of the instruments is of known accuracy.  Comparing to another instrument is
like having two watches... you never know what time it is.

As for my qualifications to measure coax loss, I spent 24 years in the
military working on avionics systems.  I made literally hundreds (probably
thousands) of loss measurements on systems that required precise (and I mean
precise down to a gnats-a$$) loss measurements.  Depending on the
application, we used HP power meters, spectrum analyzers, VNA's, and several
other calibrated methods.  These were applications that could result in
loss-of-life if done improperly.  By that standard, a couple of dB on an HF
station does NOT mean a hill of beans.

So, it's all a question of perspective.  Before you impeach anybodies
thoughts or qualifications again, you might want to think about that.

WM4B