[TowerTalk] Why time delay on UST MDPL?

Rick Karlquist richard at karlquist.com
Sat Feb 13 18:08:56 PST 2010

The time delay relay for the up direction on my HDX5106 seems to
have failed in such a way that there is no longer any delay.
The motor starts cranking as soon as I switch to up.
This brings up the question as to why there needs to be
a delay in the first place.  Does anyone know why?  I noticed
that if I am cranking up, and turn the switch to stop, and then
immediately turn it to up, the motor stalls.  If I wait a
few seconds, it works fine.  I don't know if this is any
kind of clue.  The time delay in the down direction seems to
still work, since there are separate relays.  It cranks down
after waiting a few seconds.

Rick N6RK