[TowerTalk] wind load

Charles Coldwell coldwell at gmail.com
Thu Feb 18 10:16:12 PST 2010

I've been looking at various tower specifications, and often see
something like this

Maximum Wind Load
70 MPH	 15 sq. ft.

I don't really understand how to interpret this.  I think a wind load
is a (static) force, and therefore should be measured in either
newtons or pounds.  IIUC, it should be proportional to the square of
the wind speed and that the constant of proportionality should itself
be proportional to the cross-sectional area to the wind.  So 15 sq ft
is an area, and 70 MPH is a wind speed, but I'm still missing some
factors in order to calculate a force.

Can anyone shed some light?

73s

--
Charles M. Coldwell, W1CMC
"Turn on, log in, tune out"

GPG ID:  852E052F
GPG FPR: 77E5 2B51 4907 F08A 7E92  DE80 AFA9 9A8F 852E 052F