[TowerTalk] cable strippers, cheaper

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Fri Feb 26 22:34:53 PST 2010

Roger (K8RI) wrote:
> I wish these companies would learn to list strippers by cable (they do)
> and connectors (they don't)instead of just measurements, even if they'd
> keep it to UHF and N types.  Most of us would find that a lot more
> informative.

The problem is that not all PL-259s and Ns have the same required strip
dimensions.  The coax dimensions are known, so that's easy.

> A couple of suggestions for those who end up with the ones using
> adjustable cutters.  If they are working fine, DON'T MESS WITH THEM!".
> <:-))

> I know as hams it is part of our way to make things do double and triple
> duty, but life is just a whole lot easier if you have a stripper set up
> for each size coax and fitting rather than trying to make them do double
> duty.
That's the idea behind the swapable cassettes in the CST Vario. On mine,
you can flip it over, so you basically have two presets in one stripper.

However, as you say, a purpose configured stripper for each kind of
coax/connector is definitely the way to go, and if the $20 widgets do
the job, you can buy 4 for the price of the CST Vario, which can only do
2 (at best).