[TowerTalk] Half Sloper recommendations - Results!

W5LT W5LT at verizon.net
Sat Jan 2 12:45:11 PST 2010

Dick:
I know this is a late addition, but would like to add my experience with a
80/160m 'half' sloper.
I have a aluminum fold-over tower that is 85ft tall, with a SteppIR 3
element with the 30/40m dipole kit.
I have mounted a 75 ft long 80m half sloper from it at about the 72 ft
level.
It comes off the tower at about a 45 deg angle, and ends about 20ft above
ground.
It is resonant at 3790 kHz with the SteppIR set to 15m.
The key to my installation is that the SteppIR elements are grounded to the
boom/tower, and can be used to tune the resonant frequency of the Sloper,
i.e. a variable top hat)
To operate a the low end of 80, I set the SteppIR to 40m.
To operate it on 160m, I studied the feed impedance at 1825 as I varied the
SteppIR, and found Z = 50-jX when the SteppIR is set to 6m.
I added a High Q loading coil and HV relay at the feed point, which I switch
in when I operate 160m.
With this set up I can operate a matched antenna on 160, 80 & 75m with one
sloper.
It is a noisy antenna for receive, and a year ago I added a set of K9AY
loops for a low noise Rx antenna.
My country count currently stands at (worked/confirmed): 80m: 186/157;
160m:124/117, the last 20 to 30 have been added after the RX antenna was
added.
I do not have any significant radials down, but in North East Texas we are
blessed with highly conductive soil.
I rarely fail to work anything I can hear, usually with just 200W (I only
kick on the linear when the going gets tough).
Good Luck with whatever you decide.
73s

Bob, W5LT