[TowerTalk] More Rohn

Roger (K8RI) K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Tue Jan 5 22:58:26 PST 2010

Whether assembling or disassembling a tower, be it 25G, 45G, or plain
old American Steel I never work above the guys. When each section goes
up it has a set of temporary wire rope guys strong enough to hold the
tower even in a strong wind.
http://www.rogerhalstead.com/ham_files/work.htm.    Note the tight guys
at the work location while the guys to the top of the top section and
just hanging down. I do not go up that next section until the guys are
pulled tight and tensioned. The is continued up until a attachment point
for the permanent guys is reached. Only after the permanent guys are
attached are the lower temporary guys removed.

Disassembly works in reverse. Guys are attached and tightened at the top
of the first section below the top. Only after they are tightened and
I'm working below the top section are the bolts removed and  the top
section removed.

IOW I never work from an un-guyed section.
Particularly when disassembling a tower I make certain to be very
careful about the guys.  Use and old towers are an unknown from strength
and integrity.   I have found myself at 40' with the tower standing on
only one leg. Even had the third one let go it would have only dropped
straight down about 6" which would have been exciting, but still under
control.

I inspect those old towers very carefully on the way up and am liberal
with the use of temporary guys and I certainly do not want one buckling
in the middle with me on top. Of course any time you climb an "old"
tower you are taking chances and playing the odds.

Yes, in the photo I'm wearing a climbing belt and hooked up with an
additional two tag lines. But by the time I finished I had a full body
harness.

73

Roger (K8RI)