[TowerTalk] solder

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 11 17:12:37 PST 2010

Rick Karlquist wrote:
> Craig Clark wrote:
>> You have to watch for using plumbing solder with an acid core for
>> electrical
>> applications. That can have nasty consequences.
>>
>> 73 Craig
>>

>> Craig Clark K1QX
>
> Can you enlighten us as to what the consequences are?
> Is it OK to use for soldering radials?

I think the issue is if it's not cleaned afterwards, you have this
ammonium compound or acid (either way, pretty reactive) stuff in a box
which is closed up.  Obviously, it's not going to severely corrode the
copper (although, over time...) I think the concern is with other
components.

And, of course, when doing flow soldering, they use a very reactive
flux, but they also wash the board afterwards.