[TowerTalk] solder

Hans Oortman pa3arw at euronet.nl
Tue Jan 12 05:32:06 PST 2010

Lead free solder is a pain in the butt.....for rework as well as normal
production.......let me refrase the latter: it needs very accurate control
of the process, i.e. temperature, which is doable but increasing cost of
production.
It is NOT allowed to be used in military, aviation equipment and medical
equipment because of its possible unreliable solder joints on the long term.
Certainly when BGA's are being used. Jurisdiction is available in Germany
whereby manufacturers have successfully challenged the legislation for the
use of RoHS in business to business products because of its unreliability.
The use of RoHS has no positive effect what so ever on the environment,
which in principle has been the driving force for its application.
Nevertheless it is obligatory for consumer products. The total percentage of
lead in our environment coming from electronics is less than 0.4%. Car
batteries, normal batteries and ammunition are the major contributors of
lead to the environment. We, as electronics manufacturers have been sc....
by the environmentalists for no reason what so ever.....

Hans Oortman
PA3ARW