[TowerTalk] Speaking of wire mesh...

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Sun Jan 17 12:12:50 PST 2010

K1TTT wrote:
> They may not be perfect, but they do help.  I use that stuff under my 80m
> 4-square... even with the radials raised up 10' putting 150' of that stuff
> under each vertical was still a measurable change to the impedance when I
> was putting up the first one and testing it.  I got it in 100' sections from
> a local fence installer and put 100' out from the center of the 4-square as
> far as it went past each vertical, then a 50' piece at 90 degrees to it
> crossing at the base of each vertical.  A 1/8" galvanized cable clamp does a
> good job of clamping without need for matching metals if you use galvanized
> wire, then use a bigger galvanized clamp to attach to the tower rung.

The question I would have is whether you'd be better spending money on
copper wire for radials than spending it on steel mesh.  Obviously, if
one has a cheap source for either, than that might push you one way or
the other.

For tesla coils, which are entirely a near field thing (100-200 kHz),
mesh works great, but there, it's because the mesh makes a more uniform
electrostatic field.. the advantage is in the field shape more than the
loss effects.  The mesh is basically one plate of a capacitor.

But for antennas, I'm not so sure.

However, it occurs to me that this is something that NEC4 can model
(albeit tediously), except for the permeability of the wires.