[TowerTalk] TowerTalk Digest, Repairing Yaesu G-800SA

Perry - K4PWO k4pwo at comcast.net
Mon Jan 18 17:58:00 PST 2010

I'm thinking of getting one as well
The manual is on the Yaesu Web site and it has a controller schematic in the
back (I can e-mail the PDF file if you don't find it).  Pretty straight
forward circuit.  You have a DC power supply that produces a regulated 12
volts for the electronics, and un-regulated 24 volts for the rotor.  The
electronics mainly read the feedback pot's voltage in the rotor to drive the
display compass rose motor and it's mechanically coupled feedback pot to the
same voltage.  The equivalent of a "selsyn" system.  The rotation direction
switches just cause the relays to close reversing the polarity of voltage to
the motor depending on the direction of rotation.  You have an internal 3
amp. fuse in the 24 volt supply as well as the AC line fuse on the back of
the controller.

73 de Perry - K4PWO