[TowerTalk] coax entry

Stan Stockton k5go at cox.net
Wed Jan 20 10:42:05 PST 2010

This may not be the best way to do it, but I have always made a box with
two plywood panels that will fit in between the studs on the outside
wall and have however many stubs you want of PVC in columns and rows
with the PVC extending out about 4 inches in either direction.

Whatever you do, make provisions for about two times as many cables as
you think you will ever need.  With individual PVC pipes you can easily
insert a new cable and not have to worry about a tangled mess.  Running
a dozen cables through one 3" PVC will eventually become a mess and I
think you will eventually wish you had done something different.

You might have several rotator cables or control lines in on PVC but
only one coax per pipe.  This way you can make a chart and be able to
look at it and easily determine which cable is which.

I think right now I have a square that has six rows and six columns and
all of them are full.  I thought I would never need anything larger than
3/4 inch hardline and did not make provisions for larger cables.

If I were you with 12 cables of various types with some of them 7/8
hardline, assuming not all of those cables are coax, I would make it a
minimum of 4 x 4 and have one of the rows large enough to accommodate
7/8 heliax with the connector installed and the others large enough for
RG-213 with a PL259 installed.

Stan, K5GO