[TowerTalk] L-Com 400 coax

Roger (K8RI) K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Fri Jan 22 21:34:53 PST 2010

Gary K9GS wrote:
> Regardless of what brand of cable is purchased, don't they all ship on a
> spool
No. I've actually received LMR-600 in boxes.

> that is pretty close to fitting inside a plastic trash can?
That that did come on spools covered a wide range of sizes from 3' to
18". Some spools for the smaller cables were of cardboard while some of
the larger ones were of plywood that used a center form of cardboard,
much like the tubes in carpet rolls. None of them hold up well in humid
conditions. OTOH I did get a wood spool of about 18" with 3/8" braided
synthetic rope.
>  Couldn't
> you just carefully remove one of the end plates from a spool of cable and,
> leaving the cable still coiled, "lift" a sufficient number of coils of cable
> to make your stub?  You're going to need to tune it to the proper length
> anyway.

You can easily wind LMR 400 into a 4" ID coil. Just keep winding until
it's all on there and then tape it. or just coil it to fit inside the can.
Id use 8" instead of 4 as that is well beyond the "repeatable" bending
radius of 4".

73

Roger (K8RI)