[TowerTalk] Ref SteppIR rubber boots

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Sun Jan 24 09:49:30 PST 2010

On Sun, 24 Jan 2010 12:31:51 -0500, D Calder wrote:

>But for a few $k, I don't think you should have to use work
>arounds.

This has been blown WAY out of proportion. The rubber boots from a
certain time frame of manufacture were bad, and didn't stand up to
UV. SteppIR goofed. ALL mfrs goof, some more than others. The better
ones learn from their mistakes and correct them. They call things
like this "growing pains." Yes, if you have one of these antennas on
a tower, it can be a costly error. Or not.

Last spring, I was on the ground crew helping two much younger
climbers repair a 4-el SteppIR for OT W4UAT. Since all were
volunteers (members of NCCC), Larry's cost was limited to providing
food and drink. Others may not be so lucky.

As an engineer, I recognized the problem as growing pains that had
been corrected, and chose a 3-el SteppIR to go on my tower. I'm
pleased with the performance.

73,

Jim Brown K9YC