[TowerTalk] "Roll your own" tower/mast.

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Sun Jan 24 13:27:01 PST 2010

veblencf wrote:
> John, This may be a bit simplistic but it may also resolve
> your issues.
> It has recently come to my attention that my local PUD while
> removing power poles that have been trimmed by a fast moving
> vehicle have needed a way to conveniently dispose of these
> power poles that are now excess to their needs. Also, they
> are no longer tall enough to match the other power poles.
> The crews removing the poles have been known to leave them
> on various neighbors property in a upright position suitable
> for use as antenna. Did I mention that these dimensionally
> challenged poles still range in length from 45 to 60 feet
> long??, this is down from their original height of 90 feet
> prior to “ vehicular pruning”??

Indeed..this is a good source for poles.  And you can stack them (either
one on the end of the other, like W6AM did, or 2-3 on the bottom in a
triangle holding up another one as a second tier).  As you say, a lot
depends on acquiring them through informal channels, and if you can get
them to help you plant them that's even better.  After all, the same
truck that moves them around often has a big auger on it to dig the
hole. Depends a lot on whether it's a civil servant or a contractor
doing the work, and the vigorousness of the current campaign on "fraud
waste and abuse".

There *is* a downside to wooden poles.  I've not had to climb many
telephone poles in my life, and I'll be perfectly happy to never have to
climb another of those splinter ridden things again.  My friends who
have worked for cable TV companies (and climbed many a pole) are even
more vehement in their comments.  Bucket trucks rule!