[TowerTalk] Downhill anchors

Roger (K8RI) K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Mon Jan 25 15:51:12 PST 2010

Ed Swiderski, KU4BP wrote:
> After seeing my planned tower location become literally washed away. A flat
> area but considered a flood plane. (Got VERY flooded after weekend rain,
> almost a pond) I'm looking at putting my planned tower against my house. The
> thing that I am being puzzled about is how the land slopes down quite a bit
> away from the base. This is where one of the guy anchors will go. Is there
> some additional calculations that I need to do? I'm guessing that it is no
> more than 10 feet below where the base will be.
>
> I'm thinking that maybe I would have to keep the angles of the guys constant
> and just extend the length to the anchor to compensate for the drop in land,
> but I'm not sure. What I'm thinking is that if there is, say, 10 feet of
> drop. Using that and the angle required for the guys I can trig out the
> distance needed from the tower base. As I said, I'm guessing on what to do.
> Am I on the right track with my theory or am I off base?

Basically try to keep the guy angles the same which can either be
measured or calculated.  Position and measure it probably going to be
the easiest unless you have a transit.

Were it me, and it's not, I'd resist the temptation to use elevated guy
anchors.  I say that and all of the guy anchors here are elevated by
about 10 feet for clearance problems.

I would assume the guy anchor and elevated guy anchors are both going to
be flooded on occasion.
Elevated anchors need to be back guyed and given the angle should end up
at the same point the extended guy at the proper angle would be placed.
An elevated anchor who's base is under water and is not back guyed is
going to take one whale of a lot of concrete that goes fairly deep,
otherwise it will move. Even then both the post and back guy are going
to be basically installed in mud, so I'd use as substantial an anchor as
I could while maintaining the same angle as the other guys for that tier.

Good Luck,

Roger (K8RI)