[TowerTalk] Yet another big LPA

kb2m at arrl.net kb2m at arrl.net
Tue Jan 26 05:00:52 PST 2010

The HF stations at the FAA ARTCC's were for emergency communications during
the cold war. They used to have a net once a month(I think) this was before
my time, I started to travel to centers in the early eighties, I've visited
all of them, many times. I operated from several of them while working on
site. One time at ZNY we were turning the antenna around, to listen, not
planning to transmit and freaked out some workers on the roof, as we pointed
the antenna right at them. The NOM sent someone down to the basement to see
what was going on! We would only operate after hours at night.

73 Jeff kb2m