[TowerTalk] HOA Abuse

Michael Goins wmgoins at gmail.com
Tue Jul 6 07:14:19 PDT 2010

I agree with Blake, as much as I disagree with the whole concept.

We moved form the Houston area (actually, Richmond, Texas) to the San
Antonio area with the full understanding that I once again wanted to put up
a decent antenna. So we looked only in areas that were permissible - we had
to look for homes with no HOAs or ones that were okay with towers as that's
law, like anything else.

Again, I feel it unfair, but it is what it is. That HOAs have so much power
is silly and that is a good part of the challenge going on here with HOA
power structure. If I remember right - and I may or may not - I think, in
Texas, this came about when there was such an issue with real estate back in
the 80's. Neighborhoods were having problems with abandoned houses and it
was meant to help with that sort of issue - not take homes from people. That
the media led with him being military is simply media manipulation. His wife
was there and should have paid the HOA fees. Him being military had nothing
to do with it either way and was simply an emotional attempt at manipulation
of the reader.

A similar thing happened with an older woman in Houston (in her eighties, I
think) whose husband had passed away. She ignored the HOA stuff thinking it
junk mail and they took her house. I believe she got it back, but not
without a major legal hassle.

The law is the law, and unfortunately they had the legal, though not moral,
right. If you don't like it, see about getting it changed. Hopefully, with
enough publicity, this event will help here in Texas.

One opinion. Mine.

Mike, k5wmg
Pipe Creek, Texas
Fast cars, slow boats, big dogs, old trucks, little radios, and summers off
to write