[TowerTalk] No Tool Fast Assembly HF Beam

Martin Sole hs0zed at csloxinfo.com
Thu Jul 8 00:16:27 PDT 2010

I've thought about this one before and came up with the idea of using worm
drive hose clamps. Where you have a split in the end of the larger tube and
then using a compression worm drive hose clamp should work okay, many beams
come with them. The problem is the need for a screw driver or socket that
fits the hexagon head of the worm drive clamp but I have seen clamps, and I
think you could fabricate this, where instead of a slotted head there was a
large flat wing like appendage such that sufficient torque could be applied
by finger and thumb alone to ensure a reasonable if not overly tight fix.
Mark the tubes at the appropriate points and then at assembly just slide
together until the marks line up and finger tighten the modified worm drive
hose clamp. A similar arrangement could be done at the boom if the antenna
is appropriately modified. Fix the boom to element clamps permanently to the
boom and use wing nuts on the element clamps or fix a short stub at the
element mount and then having cut the centre tube use the same process as
for the rest of the elements. Not losing the clamps might be the biggest
problem so you may need spares or find some way to tie them to the elements.

Cheers
Martin, HS0ZED