[TowerTalk] more on Slick way to bury conduit etc.

Grant Saviers grants2 at pacbell.net
Thu Jul 8 11:00:23 PDT 2010

Here are some links and pictures

Condux pulling grip on ebay
http://cgi.ebay.com/Condux-08642049-Mesh-Pulling-Grips-/320391828972?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4a98d755ec
would handle 1.5" conduit, browse "pulling grip" search for the size you
want  (0.3" to 6.0"!).

a build it yourself ripper
http://www.lincolnelectric.com/knowledge/articles/content/subsoil_ripper.asp

this company makes a ripper tooth and a hitch that mounts to a trailer
receiver, so a suitable truck, atv, etc could do the pulling
http://omni-mfg.com/OMNI-TRANSFORMER-3-Point-Ripper-Trencher-Plow-P706111.aspx

single blade rippers are optional for Bobcats, so the equipment rental
outlets should have them as part of a Bobcat rental

several models of ripper points, also called subsoilers
http://www.everythingattachments.com/subsoiler-mole-plow-3-point-hitch-s/75.htm
As I recall, my attachment was made by Land Pride, but I can't find it
in the pdf catalog available on-line. It is solid 1" thick steel plate,
weighs about 180# with hitch

Here are a couple of pictures, I'll take some more of the actual blade
and grip in a few days.  One shows the midway ditch with the pipe going
in the ground, another show the tractor and the soil behind with the
pipe in the ground, the pipe laying next to it are for the next section
to pull.

It seems that what pulls the ripper tooth is limited only by ham
invention and creativity as ATV's, Gators, Bobcats, dozers, trucks, even
a car with a trailer hitch could work if it has the traction, power, and
strong enough hitch.

One additional thought on conduit - 1" conduit can be bent up enough in
the midway ditches to glue sections already in the ground.  For bigger
conduit either the joiner trench needs to be longer or some way to push
the sections together needs to be devised.  Maybe a lever against a
block on the end of the section just pulled, or a rope rolling hitch and
come along to back it up a few inches, or ??

We did shear one of the 5/8" blade holding bolts when we got into some
thick oak tree roots.  It was probably grade 1-2 and was replaced with
grade 5 and didn't recur.  The good news is that if the ripper and
vehicle call pull through the roots, rocks, or whatever, the path is
clear for what is being pulled.

Grant  KZ1W