[TowerTalk] 6061-T8... new alloy

Scott MacKenzie kb0fhp at verizon.net
Sat Jul 10 12:00:13 PDT 2010

6061-T8 is not a new alloy, but a relatively new temper.

6061-T6: Solution heat treated and then artificially aged. Mechanical
property limits not affected by cold working. Most alloys in the -w and -T4
conditions artificially aged to -T6.

6061-T8: Solution heat treated, cold worked and then artificially aged.
Applies to products which are cold worked to improve strength, or in which
the effect of cold work in flattening or straightening is recognized in the
mechanical property limits.

This is usually done at a mill.  The basic idea is to create a mass of
dislocations for the precipitates to nucleate upon.

Fatigue data for 6061-T6 is available from
http://www.osti.gov/bridge/purl.cover.jsp;jsessionid=E60AF71CD3AE67A22DF4A0B
249C59A92?purl=/10157028-oVWp5b/webviewable/

>From matlib.com:
6061-T6 Fatigue Strength:
96.5 Mpa (14000 psi) @ 5.00e+8 Cycles
Completely reversed stress; RR Moore machine/specimen

Since the T8 temper has a lower hardness, with corresponding lower yield and
ultimate strength, I would suspect that it would have a crresponding lower
fatigue strength.

Scott aka KB0FHP