[TowerTalk] Harbor Freight WInch

James Wolf jbwolf at comcast.net
Mon Jul 12 17:21:13 PDT 2010

Rick,

A friend of mine, AF9Y, used this wench with a 1/2 hp, 136 RPM motor.  He
has an aluminum tower ~80ft and says that it is enough motor, but there is
little reserve.
It is mounted on a plate that attaches back behind the wench, mounted to the
pole that lifts the tower.  The pole is offset from the tower a few feet and
pulleys are attached to the tower and pole at two different levels which
further reduces the lift ratio.  The motor shaft is coupled to the shaft on
the wench with a coupler once you remove the handle. I don't recall the
details of the coupler.  It took some craftsmanship, but it appears to work
well.

Jim, KR9U