[TowerTalk] best way to shine up an old yagi?

john at kk9a.com john at kk9a.com
Tue Jul 13 14:54:30 PDT 2010

The 6061-T6 DOM that I have purchased had a dull finish.  The 6061-T6
extruded tubing that I bought was shinier, but not a mirror finish.  Perhaps
DOM is available in different finishes?

John KK9A

To: towertalk at contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] best way to shine up an old yagi?
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2010 23:32:45 -0400

On 7/12/2010 6:24 PM, Hector Garcia XE2K wrote:
> This pads are great to clean and leave smooth the surface of any metal
> pipe or
> tubing
> and are the first thing to use  if you want to make  SHINE the idea is to
> polish
> is how I understand
>
> Force 12 use no polished aluminum to save money , CC use it and the
> antennas
> shine when New

I'm not so sure ... All aluminum I've purchased from the distributor
comes from the mill with a highly reflective surface (inside and out)
from either being drawn or extruded. It's my impression the dies impart
this shiny, mirror like finish. Two weeks ago they delivered 5 24'
lengths of 2" X 1/8" , one with 3/16" wall and three 24' lengths of 1
1/2" with 1/8" wall. All 6061-T6 and all have the appearance of a
polished finish, but they are the standard, from the mill condition.

Normally the dull, non reflective finish comes from aging out in the
weather, bead blasting, or tumbling