[TowerTalk] Buriable coax?

Tom Anderson andersonww5l at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jul 18 13:25:52 PDT 2010

Is there any truly "buriable" coax or does one need to snake the "buriable" staff through a piece of buried PVC pipe.  I'm installing a vertical in my back yard and was wondering which was best?  A note, the area where I live is permeated by underground springs that ooze water.

When I dug the 6 ft. hole for my 50 ft crank up in 1992, it filled up overnight with water and when I called the city thinking we may have hit a waterline someplace.  Their inspectors came out and said this area was inpregnated with underground springs.  Once we pumped out the hole you could see the water dribbling in from many locations along the sides of the square hole.  A friend of mine who owed me a favor dug the hole for free with a backhole he owned, so we had to push all the dirt back in.

One thing we did find was a steering wheel to a 1960 Chevy pickup truck at the 6 ft level.  No this isn't a hoiusing developement built on top of trash dump, according to the city.  Never did figure that one out hi hi.

Finally hired a professional tower installer who dug the hole for the concrete base (A TriEX W-51 crankup), set the base, and pumped in the concrete all within 10 hours so it wouldn't fill up with water again.

73 de Tom, WW5L