[TowerTalk] Truss clamp for 2" mast ??

Don Moman VE6JY ve6jy.1 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 20 19:23:49 PDT 2010

If I have a choice, I always prefer to make the truss support an
integral part of the antenna - not the mast.  Since I home build most
of my antennas I can do that, but I have modified several commercial
beams as well to allow this.

But if you have to deal with it, you can make it a bit easier.   Let
gravity tension the truss - put the beam up a bit higher on the mast,
tighten the truss and then let the beam slide down to tighten the
truss.  Or rig a pulley on the mast and use a comealaong (or the
ground crew) to pull up the truss.

I've made several clamps to support the truss and turnbuckles  as you
describe from "stuff" in the junk bin - form and drill  some flat bar
around a 2" mast in a vice -  and I have seen Sinclair clamp pieces
that would do exactly what you want.

GL with your project...

73 Don
VE6JY