[TowerTalk] Joining Phillystran and EHS

Mark Robinson markrob at mindspring.com
Fri Jul 23 07:42:45 PDT 2010

I am getting ready to assemble the top guys on my rohn 45 tower. I intend to use a short length of 1/4ehs at the top and maybe 27 feet of 1/4 ehs at the bottom. I will be using a length of Phillystran HTP667001 in the middle. I will use the PLP2755 big grip on the philly with a 1/2 inch thimble. I will be using a BG2144 big grip on the 1/4 ehs together with a 3/8 thimble. My question is how to join the ehs and the philly together. Can I just use the two thimbles looped inside of each other at the joint or do I need a shackle or maybe a 502 insulator between the two big grips.

The shackle would need to be fairly substantial to have a working load near to that of the cable at 6000 pounds. How have other people made this connection?

73 Mark N1UK