[TowerTalk] metal-on-metal interference

Roger (K8RI) K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Sat Jul 24 01:00:07 PDT 2010

On 7/23/2010 6:03 PM, Michael Fox - N6MEF wrote:
> I've heard that metal-on-metal rubbing contact causes RFI.  But doing some
> Google searches, I can't find a source of information.
>

> Can someone tell me:
>
> 1)  Is this true?

Yes, BUT ... I'd not expect a pair of thimbles, or shackles and
galvanized thimbles under the proper tension to cause a problem. OTOH
cad plated hardware from hardware and big box stores will rust and
create lots of little diodes that can create all kinds of noise. Metal
moving on metal in the near field can also do that.
> 2)  If so, is there a source for information?

I experienced and verified that was the problem
> 3)  Specifically, is there a general frequency range for the interference?

It's an arc (usually low voltage)  with a very broad frequency range,
but if one of the conductors happens to be of a length that falls within
the range it'll  be much stronger.  Another reason I do not use a steel
guy at the top end of the Phillystran to the tower.

73

Roger (K8RI)