[TowerTalk] Gas Tube protection for remote antenna switch's

K1TTT K1TTT at ARRL.NET
Tue Jul 27 13:46:55 PDT 2010

the ONLY function of a lightning arrester is to equalize the voltage between
conductors.  It clamps the voltage between conductors to some low value that
is designed to prevent damage to other components.  They are really only
effective if they are close to the equipment being protected since any
exposed conductor may allow induced voltages to accumulate.  And they have
to be on ALL power and signal conductors at the same location.

There is a real danger in choosing the wrong location for an arrester.  For
instance, you say you were going to put them at the base of the tower.  Lets
assume you do that and then run the coax into a radio in the shack without
another arrester at the entrance spg.... when lightning strikes anything on
the tower and reaches that lightning arrester the voltage between the shield
and center conductor is equalized, but its NOT zero!  suppose your tower
ground has a good 10 ohm impedance, and the stroke current reaching it is
10kA... that is still 100kV that is now on the center conductor of the coax.
(voltage reference to distant 'ground').  The arrester at this point is
protecting the cable and connector at the bottom of the tower by equalizing
the voltage between the conductors and all is well.... that is until that
100kv travels down the coax to your shack.  now here if you don't have a
proper spg entrance with another arrester that 100kv goes straight to the
radio, sees the nice low voltage path out through the power line to the
distant ground at 0v and pop goes the radio.  now, lets say you do have a
spg but without arresters.  in this case the voltage gets equalized between
the shield of the coax and the ground of the radio, but not between the
center conductor of the coax or the power conductors of the radio, so now
the high voltage on the center conductor either arcs over the connector to
the shield or goes through the radio to the low voltage power conductors.
So no matter where you put an arrester outside, you STILL need them on all
conductors at the spg so that everything in the shack is at the same
voltage.