[TowerTalk] Force-12 C-19 XR U-Bolts to Saddle Clamps.

Roger (K8RI) K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Wed Jul 28 18:10:57 PDT 2010

I picked up a used Force 12 C-19 XP in nice shape (Thanks Stan), but the
U-Bolts are very rusty. Naval Jelly does a good job of removing the
rust, but it's a time consuming, messy job.

I have a bunch of SS saddle clamps that I plan on using to replace the
u-bolts. Of course that means using never seize on the threads of the
u-bolts which is another messy job.

The elements are insulated from the boom using what appears to be split
PVC pipe.  If I use the saddle clamps it will space the elements out
from the boom mounts slightly, BUT I'm guessing the increased area of
the saddle clamp will make up for the difference in capacity. Also as
it's at the center of the elements I doubt (but don't know for sure)
that it'll make any difference.

Sooo...having gone through all that, has any one put one of these
together using saddle clamps and did it make any difference?

I'm also planning on replacing the "bead balun" they use with the 5
turn, 5 core, #31 mix current baluns.

About all I have left to finish up on the antenna is the balun and
matching network, then it'll go up above the roof of the shop to check
the tuning.
I really would have liked to put up a C-31, but the used C-19 is a lot
more in line with my current budget than a new C-31. That and I don't
have room to swing a C-31 and my wife likes that big tree...what's left
after the tree surgeons operated on it and the space on the 45G is
already spoken for by the 40M3 and 7L 6-meter C3i.

73

Roger (K8RI)