[TowerTalk] Re Plumbing a Tower

Roger (K8RI) K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Fri Jul 30 00:30:51 PDT 2010

On 7/29/2010 1:31 PM, David Gilbert wrote:
> I'm kind of confused about all this discussion involving the use of a
> plumb bob, which I think would be impractical in most environments.

It is.
> It seems to me that there are two considerations at hand:
>
> 1.  Trying to make the tower straight
> 2.  Trying to make the tower vertical.

Those go hand in hand.
> An easy guide for first objective can be accomplished by fastening a
> string (or rope for better visibility from the ground) to the top and
> bottom of the tower (spaced a few inches from the tower) and stretching
> it taught.  It isn't even necessary to measure the distance from the
> tower to the line ... you just stand to the side and look for parallelism.

It's easier to do down the center, or at least I find it so.
> Making a straight tower vertical would only require the help of a good
> level applied to the bottom section.

Depends on the accuracy of the level.

Theodolite is probably the most accurate if you can find one to rent.
> Why would that not be sufficient?

The leg needs to be really straight and the user very careful with the
level. A fraction of a bubble in 3 or 4 feet can make quite a difference
over a 100 feet.

73

Roger (K8RI)