[TowerTalk] LMR 600 Waterproof Cable Feedthroughs

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Fri Jul 30 12:01:36 PDT 2010

K0DAN wrote:
> I have a variety of cables coming down the tower, including LMR600-U/F, all
> of which go into a NEMA box, then surge suppressors, shield grounding, etc.
>
> The box & cables have been there 10+ years, and as things break or change, I
> have found that it's handy to terminate the cables coming off the tower at
> ground level, add gender or other adaptors, run short pigtails into the NEMA
> box, then continue the runs to other antennas, the shack, etc.
>
> Yes, there is more need to weatherproof the splices, and there are slight
> impedance bumps & losses with the extra splices/connectors, however:
> a) you can get anything to fit your feedthrough's into the box
> b) If something fails or needs troubleshooting, it's easy to tap into or
> swap lines

Or what about SO-239:SO-239 bulkhead feedthroughs?  They're fairly
inexpensive, and you can run whatever kind of coax inside the NEMA box
that you want to.  Granted, the connectors on the outside won't be
weather proof (since PL-259s aren't designed for it)

You could use 7-16 DIN or N if you want a more weather resistant connector.

For that matter, maybe you could mount the protective device so the
threaded part of the connector sticks out through the hole, and use
silicone caulk to make it rain tight.