[TowerTalk] Grounding control line shields at tower base

Gene Smar ersmar at verizon.net
Sat Jul 31 08:36:24 PDT 2010

TT:

----- Original Message -----
From: "Steve Gehring" <steven.gehring at gmail.com>
To: <towertalk at contesting.com>
Sent: Saturday, July 31, 2010 12:07 AM
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Grounding control line shields at tower base

  Hi Jim,

If you have the financial means, the shields of tower coaxial
transmission lines should be bonded to the tower at or near the top AND
bottom. The idea here is to shunt as much of a strike's transient
current to the tower as possible (the metal conducting mass that can
handle the current), then effectively drive as much of the transient
current into the bonded tower and building ground system as possible --
before it enters the building and contained electronics.

{snip}

> Jim N7US

     Joe and I posted this
http://lists.contesting.com/archives//html/Towertalk/2007-10/msg00356.html a
while back about how we made our own coax shield connectors for just this
purpose.  The expense is low enough that there ought to be no reason not to
do it.

73 de
Gene Smar  AD3F